Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday Favorites - Movies and Shows

We all have those seasonal favorites that we watch every year. The movies that we can’t get enough of. They are the movies that remind us of when we were kids and the family would gather around to watch Christmas movies together. Snuggled on the couch or laying on the floor. Hot chocolate and candy canes near at hand.

Okay this may not be the way it was for most people, not even for me, but it sure does paint a nice picture. Whatever the reason or the memories attached, many people still have their holiday favorites. I thought I’d share a few of mine.

1. White Christmas (1954)

This is probably one of the reasons I love classic movies – especially the musicals. I grew up watching this movie and I love it still. Some people may think it’s a little corny, but I can never get enough of it. The music is great and it leaves me feeling good all over at the end.

2. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)

And here is the other reason why I more than likely grew fond of classics. It’s a reminder to me of a few things – the obvious is that everyone matters. Sometimes we don’t even know the impact we have on others. It also serves as a reminder for me that the holidays are a hard time for a lot of people and it never hurts to be a little kinder all the time.

3. Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

What Christmas is complete without this wonderful tale of Rudolf, the poor misfit and his friend Hermey? And with the incredible voice of Burl Ives doing the narrating and the great songs, why would anyone choose to miss out?

4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

Yes, the original folks. I like the Jim Carrey version, but this one is still the holiday classic and it’s so darn cute. I love the classic animation. It makes me feel like a kid again.

Those are my only regular movies. I’ve never been much of a holiday person, so I couldn’t watch too many, but if they happen to be on I will watch Frosty, the Snowman (1969), A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000). They are all good movies and there are so many more out there. I know Miracle on 34th St is very popular, but I never got into that one.

What are your favorite holiday movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment