Monday, January 3, 2011

Writers Block

Tell someone that you're a writer and they are bound to say something about it. Tell them you have writers block and they will often give you suggestions and advice on how to beat it. There are dozens of solutions, but sadly I spent the day stuck.

When I write a story, I visualize it first. I run it through my mind like a movie. I edit and correct as I go and when I think I have a basic idea of what happens, I write my outline.

I know the story I'm working on, but the problem is, perhaps, that I've known the story for too long. I've been wanting to write it for years and I had one failed attempt. I know I need to rework the story to make it right, but I think that I might be holding on to the old story too much.

Last time I had it start with the assassination - the writing in the first chapter or two was stilted and awkward. So I decided to start after the assassination this time, but now I don't quite seem to be able to start it right.

*sigh* I even tried my favorite writers block solution - having a shower. Still no luck. Now I need to go to bed so that I can go to work tomorrow. I plan to get up early and do some dishes (that I neglected again today) and some exercise and, if there is still time, some writing.

Maybe I good night sleep will do the trick. If it doesn't, then maybe I'll need a few suggestions on how to unblock my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment