Saturday, June 29, 2019

Review: Citizen of Earth by Joseph Kassabian

This is a novel in by Joseph Kassabian and published by Kyanite Publishing.

Once again, this is a novel that I received as an advanced reader copy. So, my version may vary slightly from yours. I also want to preface this review by mentioning that this is one of the two books chosen for the July Kyanite Book Club. I seriously recommend checking it out!

Citizen of Earth is the science fiction pick and you can read about the fantasy pick, River, here

And now, let's get down to business!

I grew up on science fiction - TV, movies and books. It was, and still is, my dad's favourite genre to read. For the longest time, I resisted reading it. I mean, I loved science, but I read fantasy and horror. Then my dad, in his infinite wisdom, put a book in my hands that he knew I would love. After that, I was hooked on science fiction.

I mention all of that because one of the best things about this book was the nod that it gives to much of the classic science fiction that I read growing up. Not that cheesy shit you might be thinking about, but those good classics that were full of wonder and adventure. And Kassabian gave it all a healthy dose of modern snark and perspective.

Kassabian's characters were wonderfully realistic. I enjoyed getting to know them throughout the story and was never disappointed in them. One may even go as far as calling Vincent and Fiona beautiful examples of anti-heroes. You cannot help but want to cheer them on as you wonder how they're going to manage to get out of yet another deadly situation.

Vincent and Fiona aren't all there is to admire in this story when it comes to how well written these characters are. Human and alien alike were incredible. Everyone had their own motives and all the character dynamics, no matter how little or how long they were in the scene, was expertly done.

And speaking of aliens, I adored the wonderful intricacy the Mwar culture that we got to learn about. When it comes to science fiction, creating one alien race can be a challenge for an author, but here we get to meet several and I loved it. From landscape to culture, to physical differences and language, I love how Kassabian gave us a wonderful array of characters that enriched the story greatly.

I won't ruin anything for you, of course, but this action-packed, edge of your seat science fiction story is one that is worth the read. Right to the very (appropriate) end, it keeps you invested. If you like classic science fiction, this is a book you need to read. If that isn't your thing, read it anyway for the great plot and engaging characters.

This novel is available direct from the publisher as well as through most major retailers. You can find out more at https://kyanitepublishing.com/product/citizen-of-earth/

No comments:

Post a Comment