Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Review: River by Ryen Lesli

This is a novel by Ryen Lesli and published by Kyanite Publishing.

Once again, this is a novel that I received as an advanced reader copy. So, my version may vary slightly from yours. I also want to preface this review by mentioning that this is one of the two books chosen for the July Kyanite Book Club. I seriously recommend checking it out!

River is the fantasy pick and you can read about the science fiction pick, Citizen of Earth, here.
Find out more about this story and where to purchase this novel here: https://kyanitepublishing.com/home/catalog/river/

Now, on with the review. Or if I want to stay true to the book I am reviewing, on with the fucking review.

From that, you may come to the conclusion that this young adult fantasy contains some swearing--and you would be right. It does, because if we're being honest. Most teenagers swear. Some of them swear a lot. Even though I often write for adults, I can be honest in saying that there is not a lot of swearing in most of my books. No reason, I just don't. However, I have nothing against swearing when not used gratuitously in novels. Ryen uses the swearing effectively and appropriately for the characters and the situations.

I really found myself drawn into River's world. Both the human world and the hidden world that Ryen created for this story. It does that job of making you honestly believe that the fantastical can be living right next door and we might not know it. I was impressed with the depth of history, culture and mythology that she worked into this fantastical world. It's those little details that can really bring a story home for a reader - and they certainly enthralled me. 

When it comes to the characters that you encounter in this story you will not be disappointed. Each one is well developed and distinct. I love her characters. Some of them I even love to hate them, but not one of them seems underdeveloped and there are no instances where I feel like they are out of character at any point. River is exactly the kind of girl who ran my internal dialogue as a teenager. As a teenager or an adult, I think we can all relate to her.

Overall, this is an incredible story. I loved every moment of it and, had I more time to read, I would have probably consumed it in a single sitting. Which actually brings me to one small point. If you have very limited reading time like I do, be prepared that a few chapters run a little on the longer side. Not all of them, just a few...and I found myself cursing more than River as I tried to get to the end of a longer chapter one morning before I had to leave for work.

One last note to those agents and publishers who missed out on this novel, as detailed by Ryen in her acknowledgements, you REALLY fucking missed out. Seriously, get with the times. 

1 comment: