Monday, July 29, 2019

Review: The Darkness Returns by Michael D. Nadeau

This is a novel by Michael D. Nadeau and published by Kyanite Publishing.
Once again, I received this as an advanced reader copy. So, my version may vary slightly from yours. Find out more about this story and where to purchase this novel here: https://kyanitepublishing.com/product/the-darkness-returns/

I will be honest with you. I am a latecomer to high fantasy and epic fantasy stories. I talked in a previous review about how my dad shoved a science fiction novel in my hands as a teenager that he knew I would love and I was hooked on that genre from that day on. Surprisingly, high fantasy and epic fantasy came to me even later in life. What was I reading before that? Well, that's a tale for another time.

I start off saying this because I want you to understand where I am coming from when I write a review of certain things. I am also going to be bluntly honest, I loved this book. It is an incredible tale with a fascinating cast of characters. It doesn't disappoint in that regard.

One thing that took me a bit to get used to was thread jumping. And by this I mean, that Michael takes the time to pull at each individual thread of this tale, jumping from one to the next before finally showing you how it all ties together. I know for some people, this is not a style they enjoy, but I can assure that it is well worth it in this case because he doesn't leave you waiting for future books in this series to find out how the threads of each tale may tangle together.

Although there were times I wish I could get to know the characters of one thread before he moved on to the next, it did not detract from my overall enjoyment of this story. As the story progresses in this first book of an epic fantasy series, a rhythm develops that becomes much easier to follow and as the threads of each tale move closer together, it becomes easier to lose yourself in this story.

And what a story it is.

The characters are dynamic and wonderful, his creativity in building this world is a treat to the imagination. I adore these characters and I do want to see them succeed... well, most of them anyway. I mean, I'm not cheering for the bad guy here (although, I kinda like him too). There is so much to love and I look forward to seeing how everything unravels in the next book.

This is a series that you will fall in love with. You are not left unsatisfied at the end of the first book, as many series can do, but there are still hints at a mystery bigger than this single book, and those unanswered questions keep you wanting to know more, to dig deeper. And as much as I would love to pester the author about a few things that I want to know the answer to NOW, I have a feeling those questions will be answered if I just wait for the next books.

I would highly recommend checking it out if you enjoy any type of fantasy. It's well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment