Monday, September 9, 2019

ARC Review: What Once Was Home - by B.K. Bass

This novel is published by Kyanite Publishing. I, once again, had the privilege of being able to read an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this compelling story. Release date is October 25, 2019. Find out more about this story and where to purchase it here: https://kyanitepublishing.com/product/what-once-was-home/

When this novel first came up as an ARC, I knew I wanted to read it. However, I was on vacation and didn't have time to respond to the message. Shortly after returning home, I had a message from B.K. asking if I wanted to read this even though I had recently reviewed another novel of his.

I didn't hesitate to assure him that I was eager to read this novel after hearing about it and seeing the back-cover blurb. It sounded right up my alley and I've enjoyed all his work immensely so far. 

Before I get into the writing, look at that freaking cover. Gorgeous right? It may not seem much to people, but the interior formatting on this story was wonderfully done. I don't often notice interior formatting unless it stands out as exceptionally beautiful or it's so bad it annoys me (and as a result affects my opinion of the story). So, yeah, I couldn't NOT mention this little tidbit.

This book is nothing like I've ever read from B.K. before. I knew I was in for something special when I read the 'Introduction' that he wrote. By the time I finished reading the first chapter my thoughts on this subject were confirmed. 

I thought I had been excited to read this before, but now there was no doubt in my mind that I was about to go on one hell of a journey that would spare no emotions. This story lived up to all my expectations and then some. B.K.'s talent at world-building is apparent from the start and you can tell that this is a novel that he poured a lot of emotion into writing.

Every step of the way, I was enthralled by Jace's story. Every word drew me so deep into this world, that it became real to me. It's what I want when I read a book, a movie in my head. An incredibly engaging and heart-wrenching journey. With an ending that made me sit back and repeat the word "Damn" to myself several times. Because, damn.

What Once Was Home stunningly combined the incredible speculative elements that I love about science fiction with the engaging personal stories and moving internal struggle that continues to draw me back to contemporary fiction. 

Compelling characters, fast-moving plot, and a world you can sink into—you really cannot ask for more from any story. Even if science fiction and alien invasions aren't your things, this is a book you do NOT want to miss out on. Jace's journey is one that I think will touch many readers and bring them back again and again. 

Until this moment, my favourite book by B.K. was Warriors of Understone, but this story far surpasses it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment