Monday, August 12, 2019

Review: Parting the Veil by B.K. Bass

This is a novel by B.K. Bass and published by Kyanite Publishing. I had the privilege of being able to read an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this incredible novel. Find out more about this story and where to purchase this story here: https://kyanitepublishing.com/product/parting-the-veil/

This isn't the first book I've had a chance to read as an ARC by B.K. Bass. I previously reviewed Warriors of Understone and absolutely loved it. I consider myself lucky to be able to read more of his work. Of course, that means I have certain expectations going into reading this novel.

If you read my previous review of his work, you will have noticed that I went on and on about the world-building. While this is an entirely different style of novel with it based in our world instead of one that B.K. wholly created, that doesn't mean a certain amount of world-building isn't required. In fact, you are trying to create your own reality within an existing world can sometimes be harder.

I am happy to report that once again, B.K. delivers on giving you a rich and wonderful world based on our reality. Not to mention delivering some incredible imagery with an exciting, rapid-paced plot.

I will also be honest in saying that this is my first time reading cosmic horror though I am someone who does love my standard horror novels. This is not a book that sets out to scare you like standard horror novels. This is a good thing for me since I am not someone who is easily scared

All right, enough of this. Let me tell you about this book. Right away I was drawn in by the Indiana Jones atmosphere of the first chapter that played beautifully into the genre. Our main characters Richard and Wilkins have a wonderful dynamic that I liked at the beginning and loved by the end of the book.

This book is a thrill ride right from the beginning. The pacing is wonderful, the settings are alive and. from my knowledge, well researched. I enjoyed it immensely. Going to say the story went from this is good to 'I don't want to put it down' by the time we hit the bayou. I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

As the story progressed into Spain there was no denying that I was hooked and though the ending is great, nearly perfect in fact, it leaves you knowing that there will be more to look forward to! If you love adventure, if you have any fondness for cosmic horror at all then this needs to be on your must-read list.

Or as the French would say, cette histoire est incroyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment