Thursday, December 15, 2016

A day in the life - Habits

Recently I got persuaded to start using Habitica by a wonderful group of writers that I hang out with online. I've known them all for a couple of years now and after two years of talking about it I finally gave in. Perhaps, I thought to myself, this just might be the thing I need to start getting my life in order.

It's only been three days and I am still doing the 'get-to-know-you' dance with the website and app. I'm still unsure of what I am doing or even why I am doing it. However, it does feel nice to be making this attempt at organizing my hectic life.

Of course, one of the daily tasks I have assigned myself is simply known as "Writing" - something that I should be doing everyday. Should be. However, as any writer who still works a day job to pay the bills will tell you - that isn't how life works.

Between the full time (and then some!) day job, the commute and the fact that there is no one to help me out with what needs to be done around my house that leaves little time for much else in my life. I often get about an hour to myself while eating dinner to get some writing done and by that time I usually just want to not have to think or work.

So what is a girl to do?


No, really - what should I do? What do I do in November where I zip out a new first draft of a possibly salvageable novel?

Well, in November I ignore things for the writing. I make dates with myself on the weekend to write. I stay up late and try desperately not to make mistakes at work because I am so tired. Last thing I want to do is be the reason someone accidentally blows themselves up. Not really an exaggeration with my job - it could happen.

I have multiple WIP's right now and I would love very much to get them out there for you all to read. Of course, I want them to be good when I send them out into the world for others to see. So for now I am hoping trying out Habitica will help to keep me on track. Eventually work will slow down and I will have more time to do things during the week. Perhaps I'll learn what really makes those night owls tick.

Whatever way you cut this, this is my way of letting you all know that I am trying. I am working hard to get a new novel out there for you all. Perhaps more than one if I have my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment