Saturday, October 29, 2011

Inspire Me World

I am so stoked for NaNoWriMo right now. Just had a plot planning event and it got my mind into writers mode. On the walk home I started to look at everything with different eyes. It reminded me that inspiration is just a slightly altered viewpoint away.

The tree that was lit up white against a black sky could stand for anything. In one viewpoint it standing strong and defiant against a menacing dark sky. Or as a lonely sentinel, waiting to be released from the prison its own roots had created for it.

I passed a kid (to me) stumbling his drunken way down the sidewalk. The he looks, the sound of his steps in the fallen leaves struck a chord. "Stumbling, stuttering steps" was the phrase that popped into my mind. (I love alliteration). I ran with it and posted the results as my Facebook status.

Inspiration is everywhere, all you need to learn is how to look at it in the right way. Or at the very least, in a different way than you normally would. Then take your imagination and expand on it.

A great exercise is to take something you see or hear everyday and try to describe it in a completely new light. Turn the ordinary everyday things into something extraordinary with a new point of view.

Inspiration is everywhere. All you need to do is open your mind and allow your imagination free run. Go ahead, let it take your emotions and imagine the possibilities of things you would never do.

Now look at those imaginings in a new light as well. Don't dismiss them as idle wanderings of the mind. Embrace them and develop the images. Give them story, give them more detail...even if it disturbs you to do so. Maybe you can use it in a story somewhere.

Remember. Inspiration - it really is everywhere and in everything. All you need to do is let it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment