- Chastity - meaning purity, knowledge, honesty, wisdom
- Temperance - meaning self-control, justice, honour, absetention
- Charity - meaning will, benevolence, generosity, sacrifice
- Diligence - meaning persistence, effort, ethics, rectitude
- Patience - meaning peace, mercy, ahimsa, sufferance
- Kindness - meaning satisfaction loyalty, compassion, integrity
- Humility - meaning bravery, modesty, reverence, altruism
There are a few words mentioned on that list that I've talked about before. And you're probably finding the actual meaning of the virtues as surprising as I did. Such as chasity - it's not about not having sex. It's about keeping yourself pure and honest - lies tarish you (or your soul if you prefer). Knowing the meaning of the virtues reminds me that leading a virtuous life is not just about leading a good life and trying to do good. Heck, virtues are about being the best, shiniest you that you can be.
It's good every now and then to remember what the seven virtues really are and to try to live up to such incredible standards. And to live up to those standards it might sometimes seem as though we must alienate those around us, but as Confucious reminds us - we will not be alone. We are never alone.