Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Feathers and Fae - Twisted Myths



Before I even knew what I was writing, I knew that I wanted to create this world that was very much like ours but based entirely on the myths of so many cultures throughout the world.

Though I do focus more on the European myths, I give my head a nod to myths from multiple other cultures as well. This is something that is important to me since I grew up in a highly multicultural area and I want people to know that cultures all across the world have their mythologies that are just as valid as the ones we read about.

However, if you read my last post about how I got started writing Feathers and Fae, then you might have an inkling why I would focus more on the European myths. Familiarity was key to writing a full novel in 30 days and I only had time for the quickest research. As much as I would have loved to add even more from other cultures, I didn't want to do any of them an injustice.

One of the things that I was thinking about was how stories can change over a short amount of time, imagine how much these myths and stories may have been changed and been misinterpreted or mistranslated over centuries. Not to mention the fact that people may not have always understood what they were looking at when they created the stories about these myths.

I approached these myths that we know today with this thought in mind about how could they have become the myths we know, but stem from something that differed from what most of us are used to seeing in stories. I didn't want to write the same elves and dwarves and dragons we were all used to seeing. I wanted something new.

And thus, the slightly skewed world of Mythos, a world of magic and wonder where the myths of our world stemmed from, was born. You'll read about a lot of creatures, perhaps some that you may have never heard of before, as well as those you're used to, but perhaps not how I've written them.

And I hope you enjoy my unique perspective in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment