Wednesday, December 6, 2017

After the Storm of NaNoWriMo

Now that you’ve had a little time to rest your wrists you might be wondering what to do now. You’ve written a novel or at perhaps just part of a novel, but you did it. You made it through thirty days of creative insanity. You deserve a break. Although, I am sure there are a few of you out there still writing.
So what do you do when NaNoWriMo is over?
I often feel as though there is something else I should be doing after that first little break. I dedicate so much time to writing for the last 30 days that it seems strange not to be doing it any more. If you’re like me, then maybe you should keep writing. Not at the same pace perhaps, but keep at it. If your novel is calling to you - listen.
If you’re one of the lucky few who finished all the way to ‘The End’ then take a break, get a bit of distance from your novel, then feel free to go back and edit. Don’t be afraid if your writing makes you cringe or if that beginning just doesn’t really work because your story ended up going in a different direction. These things happen. This is why we edit our work, which is a whole different ball park.
Maybe editing isn’t your thing and you feel like you’ve already written enough for now. No problem. Catch up on those shows you missed. Let your friends know you are still alive. Make amends to loved ones for your long absence. Shout to the rafters “I did the thing.” Be proud of what you accomplished.
This is the end of the wonderful, creative insanity that we fondly call NaNoWriMo. I’m glad we were able to do this together. I would love it if you would all take the time to fill out this really short survey.
Now, just like most of you, I’m going to go and sleep for a week. Maybe call my parents to let them know I’m still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment