Thursday, August 1, 2013

I have become an addict

I do not typically have an addictive personality. I won't go into details, but I have a hard time forming any sort of habit at all - good or bad. So it came as a shock the other day when I suddenly realized that I have become addicted to my scale.

I'm not joking. I don't let it get to me mentally, but I weigh myself several times a day. First thing in the morning, when I get home from work and before I go to bed. Sometimes even more often than that. I don't even really think about it much. I just do it.

A lot of experts say that this is a bad thing and I am not going to disagree with them. It can definitely be detrimental to your progress, but it has more to do with your thought process about weighing yourself.

I started my journey by weighing in every morning at the same time. Over the past year and some I've become accustomed to the ups and downs and plateaus of my weight loss journey. I don't put that much thought into or stress over it. Actually, one of the benefits of weighing in so often I've become an expert on my body and how it reacts to the food I put into it and the exercise I choose to do. I know what to expect. I know what I weigh with clothes on, clothes off, in the morning, in the afternoon and at night.

Weighing myself has become the sort of habit I don't think much about - like how I always pat my pockets before stepping out of the house even though I *know* I have my keys and phone on me. I just do it, make a mental note and move on. I think that's the trick to weighing in on a daily basis is not to worry about the numbers so much.

So that my new habit and we'll see if this month in England without my scale will help break it or if I will just get right back into it the moment I arrive back home!

1 comment:

  1. I like this perspective actually... though I don't think I could weigh myself that often and not get stressed.

    ReplyDelete