Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Avocado Project

If you know me well, you may know that I love plants, but I have a bad habit of killing them. In fact, I have no plants at all in my house despite the giving of, and buying of, greenery.

Yet, I have decided that this is the year I fix that. I am going to grow myself several avocado trees.

I had one avocado every day last week for lunch, but instead of getting rid of the seed, I kept it and brought it home. Today, I carefully followed instructions on how get my seeds to become trees.

I have five seeds on my window sill, suspended in cups of water that I hope will grow. One of the seeds split slightly when I was stabbing it with the toothpick (all part of the procedure), one is slightly misshapen, but the other three are pretty much normal.

I planted five even though I am only hoping to have two or three trees in the end. Any good, and even bad, gardener knows that not all the seeds will grow. Let's say the split one never sprouts or the misshapen one dies when I finally transfer them to soil....then I still have the potential of three trees.

I'm going to be keeping track of them. Taking pictures every month or so as they grow. I'm even going to name them. It'll make it easier to track their growth progress.

Details and pictures will be posted later. I promise. *so excited*

No comments:

Post a Comment