Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Awareness

Today is the beginning of the A to Z Blog Hop and I have been trying hard to think about what I will be posting this month. Until just this moment I had no idea what I was going to be doing and I've decided to do a theme - more or less.

Those who read this blog may realize that self-improvement is something I am constantly striving for. Occasionally I fail at my attempt, but more often than not I just take my precious time getting to where I need to be. Heck, the road to self-improvement is rarely a highway - it's more like a rocky country road.

I won't guarantee that every post this month will fall under the theme, but I will try my best to make it so. And I think, in all honesty, the posts are more for my benefit than anyone else. A way to give my thoughts some order.

Awareness is one of those things that I really need to work on in more aspects of my own life. I often find myself doing/saying/thinking things without really being aware of the reasons behind these actions and if I want to continue on the road to self-improvement than I need to make sure that I am more aware - not only of myself, but also of my surroundings.

Food is a great example of this. I have been working really hard to get rid of my excess poundage and have lost over 50 lbs. However, I still find myself mindlessly snacking even though I know I'm not hungry. Mindless snacking isn't helpful at all. So the first step is to be aware of my actual state of hungry vs thirsty as well as the why of it all. If I can be aware of what is going on in my mind/body than I am better prepared to react in a way that is positive.

Being aware isn't as easy as it sounds and sometimes I'm aware, but willingly ignore what I know. *sigh* It's one of those many things that I need to work on and I'm more than willing to accept suggestions on how I can become more self-aware. I need to master this since it is the first step towards improvement.

6 comments:

  1. Very good post! I'm just about to start writing my first A-Z Challenge post as well. Looking forward to this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this! opened my eyes and others I'm sure.

    https://www.m5carolin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 50 pounds! I know from experience that it isn't easy. And you're so right! Being aware is one of the keys to success - - in anything. I'll be back for your B-Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awareness is something I think we all need to work on. I wish you much success in your journey!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could make myself be that aware of why I'm snacking. I know it's not boredom, so I suspect mindless eating. A little more awareness might help.

    ReplyDelete