Monday, September 17, 2012

For Bean

In my last post I mentioned near the end my pets. I also said that I don't spend a lot of time talking about them.

Today I make a big exception.


At 2300h my cat Bean passed away in my arms. He had been sick a long time, but I nurtured and him cared for him and gave him another good year or so.

Bean was a rescue cat. He had fallen out of the loft in a cow barn and was found, at only a week or two old, between the feet of one of tha calves. No amount of searching produced the mom and litter he belonged to, so only one thing could be done. He was hand-raised by my best friend Liz and her good friend Chrissy.

As a kitten he was often referred to as demon spawn. He would attack anything, whether it moved or not! But once he was neutered everything changed. He went from hyper to lazy right away.

Bean (and his "sister" Missy) came under my permanent care when they were both about 4 years old. I wasn't willing to give them up for anything. Even when I moved provinces, they came with. It didn't matter how much it cost to make it happen.

Bean was an odd cat. Probably a result of being hand raised. He was as docile as anything till he saw a strange cat or dog. Then he went balistic. He coulenMt have cared less about rodents, but birds were fascinating. Until they flew in his direction.

He liked to sleep under the covers. It wasn't unusual for me to come home from work to throw myself on my bed and land on a cat. He never seemed to mind much. He'd just give me a dirty look and find a new place to sleep. If he was especially forgiving, he'd just come and snuggle.

He had one trick that he did. He would high five for treats. It came naturally. He loved to hold his paw up when I was giving treats. He just wanted to grab my hand to bring tthe food closer to him, but it didn't take much to get him to tap my hand instead.

He loved menthol. In fact, I couldn't brush my teeth right before bed for fear that he would try to stick his whole head in my mouth. He once even tried to like tigerbalm off my fingers. Crazy cat.

He was an intensly curious cat. He may not often want what I was eating, but he often insisted that he had to check it out first. Heaven forbid I eat something without his okay!

That was Bean. The cat that moo'ed. The cat that I'm going to miss. That cat that I had known for 13 years.

I'm going to miss him so much.

RIP Bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment