Friday, May 18, 2012

Adventures of the Midnight Walker

Last night, I went for a walk in the rain. I hadn't planned on walking in the rain, but when I left my place at 19h30 to head out to games night I knew that it was a real possibility. There was also a possibility that one of the guys might be able to give me a ride home, but I wasn't counting on it. The Doc had given me the okay to walk and I was going to do just that. Games night was a great success, played a couple of fun games and had a good time. Win or lose, I usually have a great time because every usually plays fair.

22h20 and the night was over. It had started raining earlier and none of the usuals were around to give me a ride home. That was okay, I came from a rainy place and my ancestors came from a rainy place. I wasn't going to melt.

I donned my hoodie and hiking shoes and off I went. It wasn't pouring buckets, it was just a nice moderate rain. Almost a light rain at times. The slight breeze was a problem, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't just ignore the slight chill.

It wasn't long into the walk that I noticed the mist. Although it hadn't been a warm day the surface temperature was obviously much higher than that of the rain. In the sickly orange glow of the street lights - and the occasional more welcoming glow of a porch light - I could see the soft cloud shifting and dancing it's way across the road.

As the wind picked up the dance became more violent and towers of mist rose up towards their brethren in the sky. Not quite reaching high enough before disappearing. The occasional passing car stirred the mist up even more.

It was this beauty that I wondered at as I walked. I ignored the pain in my heel from where my shoe rubbed against it. I ignored the chill of the wind and the pervasive dampness that numbed my skin. I focused on the little bits of wonder around me.

Eventually I was home, soaked to the skin, heel bleeding, but pretty much happy all the same. Happy and with a hot drink in hand.

I was happy because of the mist that kept trying to reach for the sky. Happy that I was able to walk at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment