Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Literary Endeavours

The short story. It's been on my mind quite a bit in recent days.

I love reading short stories as much as I enjoy a good novel. There are short stories that I remember reading in high school that still stick in my mind. Like "The Painted Door" by Sinclair Ross or "Hills Like White Elephants" by Ernest Hemingway come immediately to mind. And "Dolan's Cadillac" by Stephen King. In fact, if you haven't read any of them go read them now before continuing.

Go on. I'm waiting.

If you did read any or all of those, thank you. If you didn't, you're missing out on some good writing.

I remember that I used to write short stories when I was in high school. Most I've lost over the years. Still, it was good practice, no matter how badly written the prose.

Short stories, I believe are essential to being a good writer. There is no room in the short story for words and phrases that do not improve and move the plot.

As much as I love short stories and, as important as I think they are, I don't write short stories. Maybe it's all psychological, but I always seem to find myself blocked when I try to focus on writing a short story.

So in the next month or so, before NaNoWriMo that is, I will be focusing solely on the art of the brevity.

I've been working my way through a self-directed writing course as well which I'm hoping will help. So far, it has been quite eye-opening.

Of course, once we're into October, all bets may be off as I would like to really detail a plot outline for this year’s NaNoWriMo attempt.

Now my only problem is - who is going to proof my attempts and give me feedback?

No comments:

Post a Comment