Monday, June 27, 2011

You Are Here

Sometimes, okay a lot of the time, I feel pretty lost in my life. On a small scale it’s all pretty simple. I sleep, I eat, I work, I play – I rinse and repeat. The big picture, though, well that’s a lot more complicated.

When I graduated high school, I wrote myself a letter to be opened ten years later. Have you ever done that? It had my hopes and dreams about where I wanted to be ten years from that day. When I read it last year, I was reminded of what a naïve and foolish child I was. Seriously, I was.

It would be great if I had a map that told me where I was and where I could go. I want a big red sticker stating ‘You are here’. Then maybe I could make some realistic choices in my life. There is so much I want to do and so much I wish I had done.

There is a saying that ‘these are the best days of your life’. That time is happens at different times for everyone and I wonder if I’ve had those years already. I look back fondly on my days in high school, but I’m not sure they were the best of days. Honestly, I was a bit of a wall flower back then. Who am I kidding? I still pretty much am.

College was a miss as well. Not my best days. So where are they? Are they now? Did I miss them? Are they yet to come? When will be the days that are the best moments of my life?

Those are questions that I may never be able to answer until my twilight years (and we’re not talking vampires and werewolves).

There is also the consideration that my best days are what I make them to be. Every day, every moment, could be the best of my life if I choose to make it that way. Perhaps it is all just a matter of perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment